And this is a post about what I brought home from Chicon
Before the con I shipped a box of books to myself in Chicago to get them signed.
- Robots: The Recent A.I. (a short story collection) I got signed by Rachel Swirsky, Mary Robinette Kowal, Elizabeth Bear, and Catherynne M. Valente
MRK's and Cat Valente's Hugo nominated novellas were both in this collection. I was shocked that neither of them won.
- Ravens In The Library (a short story collection) I got signed by Catherynne M. Valente
- Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente, personalized
- Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, signed
- Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, signed
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, signed
- Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire, signed
I also bought in the Dealers Room
- Guardians of the Keep by Carol Berg, signed
- Digger Vol. 1 by Ursula Vernon, signed
- Digger Vol. 6 by Ursula Vernon, signed for a friend
Ursula did win a Hugo for Digger
Plus I picked up a number of free books while there
- A Magic of Twilight by S. L. Farrell, DAW 2008
- Hidden City by Michelle West, DAW 2007
- God's War by Kameron Hurley, Night Shade Books 2011
- The Whitefire Crossing by Courtney Schaffer, Night Shade Books 2011
- The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams, Night Shade Books 2011
Plus a download card for
- Barry's Tale a novella by Lawrence M. Schoen
There was a lot of new filk at this con, I bought 6 CDs
- Queen of Spindles by Talis Kimberly
- Hazardous Fiddle by Amy McNally & Friends, debut
- Third Thyme's the Charm by Three Weird Sisters, debut
- Ways of Wind and Water by Cheshire Moon, debut
- Edges by Cathy McManamon
- Bare Bones by Cathy McManamon, limited release
Many of you won't recognize the name Cathy McManamon. Let me tell you that this may be the first time you heard of her but it probably won't be the last. She has been writing and performing songs for a while, but only discovered filk in the past year. The other name people may not know is Cheshire Moon which is a new band including Lizzie Crowe, Susan Weiner, and Eric Coleman.
In case that wasn't enough shopping I also bought 2 pairs of hand knitted striped knee socks to wear with my kilt.